Thursday 23 June 2011

Emily's first thoughts on the CSC assignment

I learned I had been selected for IBM's Corporate Services Corp after a long day planning a "Day of Service" event to celebrate IBM's 100th Anniversary.  I was already high on the way our project was coming together - sending approximately 500 IBMers out into 200 Grade 6 classrooms to lead activities promoting innovation and creativity.  To find out I had been chosen put me over the top.  I felt so lucky to work for a company like IBM where these things could be considered "my job"!

Here's a picture of me "on the job" with the team who went to Northern Lights school for a day. We had a great time challenging (and being challenged by) the students! We even had the press there!

At that time I had no idea where I would be sent or what the scope of work would be.  I could only describe it to non-IBMers as the business equivalent of the Peace Corps, where we would be assigned to developing countries to provide consulting to assist economic development of businesses selected by the NGO's that IBM's foundation worked with.   We'll see when I finish whether this description was accurate!

When I learned that I was assigned to a team in Ghana, I have to admit it was scary!  What did I know about Ghana - not much!!  I immediately go find my encyclopedia - the internet - to start to learn.  My husband Howard's immediate reaction was "Is it safe?" and he sent me the result of a few internet searches of his own ("Cholera outbreak in Ghana" was one).   I did wonder about that.  I am an avid runner and need to know if I can run there.  Will I get sick with something that affects me for a long time?   Many questions still to be answered through more research and conversation with those who have gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment