Friday 24 June 2011

What am I going to accomplish in Ghana?

As part of our preparation activities, we are asked to document our goals for this adventure to Ghana.  It's quite a thought-provoking exercise, as there are many dimensions to this.

On a personal front, I see this as an adventure, an opportunity to explore a new part of the world, that I am unlikely to get to on my own.  Africa is that unknown place, that scary place, that we don't think of going to, except some very selected countries.  I am going outside my comfort zone, and stretching my sense of what I can safely do.  I hope to learn the lessons of what I perceive to be the slower cultures, where life is enjoyed and we aren't trying to be efficient and productive all the time.  I'm not sure I can make that kind of change, but I'm going to observe and learn from it for sure.

I'm also looking forward to the next stage of my life, where family and perhaps work, are not filling my day.  I would like a larger part of my life to be dedicated to community service.  I believe there will be lessons to be learned during this adventure about what these organizations need and how to lead in such an environment.  

On a professional front, of course I want to make an impact with the organizations we are engaged with.  This is very open ended at this time, since we have no information about our assignments.  What kind of companies will we work with?  What is the request of us?  How will my team blend to best deliver a meaningful solution?  Will I have the right skills to contribute to my team's results?  The feedback from IBMers who have participated in the past was so strong, I feel that IBM and the NGO will help us to be successful.

Both professionally and personally, I want to grow my personal skills, by becoming a more understanding individual in our multicultural world.   Upon hearing that I was going to spend a month in Ghana, several people said to me "It will change you".   I'm open to change!!   My goal will be to take advantage of these opportunities to learn, and to make them permanent, long-lived changes that benefit both my life at IBM and my personal life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment