Monday 26 September 2011

Four Days to GO!!

The departure date has almost arrived and my head is swimming with so much to think about:
  • The work we have to do:  The objectives defined for my sub-team are daunting.  We are working for the Mayors office in the capital city of Accra and have several projects in the Works Department helping them issue timely building permits and manage the city owned assets.  We also have a project in the Education Department, implementing a teacher resource center where they can share best practices and lesson plans to improve the quality of education.  All in a month...
  • Life in Ghana:  Will I feel comfortable there?  Will my team work well together? Will I get to see some of the country or will I be very busy working?  Will I be able to run?  Will I get sick?  We are living in Yiri Lodge on the University of Ghana campus, which sounds like a great location, but I'm probably quite naive about what my everyday experience will be like traveling in the heavy traffic, finding a restaurant for 12 people every night, getting the bank machine to release funds, and trying to blend in when I'm a tall blond woman... Well if a big smile will help, mine will be pasted on!!
  • Leaving my family behind:  I'm going to miss them so much.  Kelsey and I always study for her exams and she has several mid-terms while I"m away.  Riley and I are working at home more often these days and he still lets me mother him some of the time!  Howard simply tells me "we'll be fine" but maybe he'll miss me too!! 
My flight is Friday night at 10pm... Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you lots of luck, Emily!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful adventure!! And with your smile, I'm sure that they will love you ;)

    ReplyDelete